Partner - Litigation
Gavin has practised as a solicitor since 2001 specialising in the areas of corporate restructuring and insolvency and commercial litigation.
Gavin practises exclusively in these areas and has considerable experience in advising companies and individuals on a wide range of challenges that can arise in business.
This experience includes adversarial litigation in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court, as well as in alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation and arbitration.
Gavin's extensive commercial litigation experience includes defence and prosecution of enforcement remedies, shareholder disputes, injunctive proceedings, contractual disputes and negligence actions, as well as advising clients in alternative dispute processes and representation before Tribunals of Inquiry.
- Acted for a non-executive director of a building society who, together with his co-directors, were being sued for damages exceeding €6 billion in proceedings before the Commercial Division of the High Court. The case was ultimately settled following an alternative dispute resolution process that we suggested.
- Acted for a company acquired by our client through an examinership in defending proceedings brought by the former directors and ultimate shareholders who were replaced involuntarily.
- Acted for a merchant bank in obtaining Summary Judgment in the amount of €2.7m following a contested hearing in the High Court. The Defendants appealed to the Court of Appeal and ultimately withdrew the appeal on the eve of the hearing.
- Obtained Orders from the High Court charging a Judgment debt against a debtor’s shares in a number of companies.
Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency
- Advised a Polish State authority in relation to the examinership of an Irish company with contractual obligations to that State entity in Poland in both the High and Supreme Courts.
- Advised the examiner in the successful restructuring of many companies, including Aer Arann, Bestseller Retail Ireland Limited, Murrays Rent A Car Limited, Chorus Communications, Traffic Group Limited, Mothercare Ireland Limited, and Atlantic Home Care Limited.
- Advised the successful investor in Hyper Trust Limited (a company in examinership) and secured ownership of the company despite hostile opposition from the member directors.
- Advised Kerry Spring on applying to the High Court to have a Liquidator appointed and acted for the Liquidator.
- Extensive experience in advising banks and/or the appointed Receivers/ Receivers and Managers in many fixed asset and trading receiverships, including trading receiverships of licensed premises.
- Confirmed by the High Court to advise the Partners’ Committee in the liquidation of Bloxham Stockbrokers.
- Appointed by the High Court to advise a committee of inspection in a court liquidation.
- Lectures on insolvency matters on The Law Society of Ireland's Diploma in Insolvency and Corporate Restructuring.
• Law Society of Ireland - admitted as a solicitor, 2001.
• LL.B. (Hons), National University of Ireland, Galway, 1997.
• B.A. (Hons) National University of Ireland, Galway, 1993.
- Law Society of Ireland
- Founding Member of the Irish Society of Insolvency Practitioners
- Dublin Solicitors' Bar Association
- INSOL Europe
- Institute of Directors
International Law Office
Client Choice Awards 2013 Winner
Insolvency & Restructuring, Ireland
Chambers & Partners
“His knowledge is excellent and you'd choose to work with him on really technical issues which need a practical approach to insolvency. I think the market generally would recognise him as a real master of this area." (Band 2 Ranking Chambers Europe 2016)
"...he provides great solutions through lateral thinking and his in-depth knowledge of commercial law.'" (2010)
"...a well-earned reputation as a particularly skilled operator in the insolvency sector." (Chambers Global 2011)
"… is praised by clients as a highly dedicated advocate." (Chambers Europe 2011)
"... a skilled and efficient practitioner" (Chambers Global 2013)
"…praised by a number of peers."
"...certainly has the track record".
"...a very solid solicitor and very commercial."
The Legal 500
"… 'pragmatic' Gavin Simons"
Who's Who Legal
Gavin was recognised as one of only eleven lawyers in Restructuring and Insolvency in Ireland and AMOSS was recognised as one of only eight law firms practising in this area.